Have you ever just taken time away from your business to do other things? Last week I did just that and it was a great time to pause, reflect and think forward.
The last six weeks has been phenomenal and in many ways the bounce in my business left me wondering what happened. Too many of us only stop to reflect when things go wrong but what about when things go rapidly right?
When I wrote the article last December titled “How My Marketing Strategies in 2014 Positioned Me for Explosive Growth in 2015” I had no idea of how many incredible things would happen.
Evaluation and measurement is a great thing and so today I’m going to briefly share with you the results over the last six months I’ve gotten and how I got them.
Then, I’m going to share some ideas with you from my time last week reflecting and thinking about the rest of this year and where things are headed.
Many of these ideas will be very applicable to you and I hope you can draw some ideas of conclusions from them that will serve you as well.
What were My Initial Strategies and How Did They Work Out?
One thing I learned a long time ago is that Clarity and Focus work together to create Execution.
Clarity + Focus = Execution
Clarity is a process that never really ends, although it gets progressively easier. Clarity is the heart of your business and where your message is at.
Focus is where the delivery of the message is strategized and where specific and measurable goals and objectives are created to fulfill a strategy.
Execution is where the execution of the tasks or objectives takes place. This is where you see the strategy in action!
I know, I tend to focus on clarity a lot because it’s the critical foundation and the difference between failure and success for any business; unless you’re the rare company that is very fortunate.
But today I’m not going to talk about clarity; I’m going to share some of my strategies that are making a HUGE difference for me and may for you as well.
As a reference, in my article titled “How My Marketing Strategies in 2014 Positioned Me For Explosive Growth in 2015” I shared some of the strategies I would employ in 2015 and here is how some of them turned out:
- Expand upon connecting with influencers who are business bloggers and business journalists who blog: Not only did I meet individual influencers, but I also made a great partner in SEMrush.com –I have written several blogs for them and I was also on two webinars.
- Guest Blogging; In the first quarter of 2015 I contributed over 20 guest posts and the results were not what I was hoping for when contrasted with the amount of work I put into it. Much of the results were due to where I was contributing and the fact that the audiences in many of the blogs were not my primary audience. However, when I wrote for Adrienne Smith in June 2015 her audience rocked my world!!!! It was phenomenal the response I got.
- I wrote one eBook – far short of my initial goal of one per month. However, “The Shift – the Fast Pace Transition from Mass Marketing to Context Marketing” exploded onto the scene and is just now really gaining a lot of attention. While eBooks are a great strategy I learned they are definitely not a short-term strategy. But, done right they can have a profound impact on your authority and reputation.
New Strategies I Implemented Along the Way
There were a couple of huge things that did happen along the way and the moral of this story is to remain flexible and always have a learning spirit to find out what works for you and what doesn’t.
I did two things that were game changers for me:
- I introduced very clear images as call to actions.
- I started a Facebook Group titled “Market, Grow, Succeed”.
- I started doing webinars in June 2015.
I will say that webinar titled “The 5 Step Formula to Attract Your Audience Online, Increase Revenue and Position Your Business for Success!” was a HUGE difference maker for me, both on my site and on SEMrush. I wondered why suddenly so many wanted consultations and my close rate was nearly 90% on those consultations from those who attended the webinar. The content isn’t anything new when you compare what you read in my blog or hear in my podcasts.
So, I started doing survey’s afterwards and even reached out to some attendees personally. Here is what I discovered in my non-scientific survey:
- The audience coming to the webinar had never read my blog or listened to a podcast by a margin of 5 to 1. This was a very new audience.
- They felt me differently than they could in a blog or podcast… meaning they can hear and feel my passion and interact with me through the chat.
- They could hear and sense that I knew what I was talking about and they were engaged with the flow and content of the webinar.
- They felt more engaged with the video and audio presentation over just a blog article.
- They were more committed to the learning process over an hour long in-person training than through just reading a blog.
- Here is the BIG ONE: They understood exactly what I was offering and how much it costs and wanted to learn more about my services. In a sense they were pre-qualified when they said yes in a poll.
The end result is that I’m earning an average to three sales per week from each webinar.
Does that mean I’m going to stop creating content in these formats?
They are a different lead source and the truth is my blog and podcast are still babies at 15 months and 6 months respectively. These tools take time to cultivate and require serious relationship building.
Some Other Lessons Learned
In addition to the webinars, I’ve also learned a few bits of information that I believe will skyrocket my online success and can yours as well.
Starting next week you will begin seeing some different things on my blog. For one, you will begin seeing more options to download some free and amazing content.
For Example, I experimented with this idea in the article titled “How Can I Find the Right Web Designer for My Business? “
In it I offered those who want to find a reputable web designer a “Web Design Questionnaire PDF Kit” to help them find the right web designer for their business.
It includes three free downloads:
- A survey that you can ask to help gather information about how people view your site and interact with it.
- A web design interview process document.
- The third is a complete list of questions that you can use when interviewing a web designer or web design firm.
The PDF’s have been downloaded over 300 times since April 13, 2015 to date. These are all new potential leads but the problem is I didn’t finish the process.
Now, I’m adding a way that people can buy a highly valuable tool from me immediately after getting the free download for as little as $5.00.
The sales funnel is finally being finished. How much money have I lost? Well, enough to motivate me after reflection, lol… In fact, the real money is in moving them through the sales funnel to my coaching or consulting but I’m also working on a as-you-go video training series.
The point is that with every article moving forward I will be offering a highly valuable free gift.
The one lesson I learned is that I fell for one of the greatest content marketing myths out there:
JUST KEEP CREATING CONTENT AND IT WILL ALL WORK OUT
No it won’t!
We all have to become clearer and more strategically intentional about giving people a reason to buy from us.
How will I increase my leads, revenues and profits?
Here are a few of my strategies moving forward:
- I will be adding new webinar series. Here is a short list of titles coming soon:
- Blue Print of Highly Successful Websites
- The 48 Hour Website
- Did You Waste $10K on a Website that Doesn’t Work for You?
- How to Create Killer Call-to-Actions that Convert
- How to Get 500 Subscribers to Your Blog Fast
- Discover Your Real Passions and Explode Your Sales
- I’m working on a new eBook – more on that another day…
- Offer my audience a reason to download something for free that will help them immediately.
- I’m going to create a fun bi-weekly blog with my Pembroke Welsh Corgi called “Samson Says…” It will be a fresh, entertaining view of how Samson see’s the world through a dog’s eyes in a simple and fun way and still helps your business grow.
- I will be re-doing my entire video blog to include a page for each video with a transcript and a short video at least two times per week.
There you have it, some ways my business has exploded and yours can as well.
As you can see, I’ve got some major work to do on my site this week to make it a little simpler and easier for you to find what you are looking for and are interested in; as well as creating all of the unique things you can download for free like the Web Design Questionnaire Kit.
I’m going to ignore my own advice this week and not offer you a call-to-action this week. Hey, at least I’m telling you intentionally, lol… Next week, you’ll start seeing some exciting changes and I can’t wait to tell you how it worke in another six months from now.
If you have a thought, idea or comment you would like to share please leave it below in the comments and let’s talk. I would love to hear from you!!!!
Latest posts by Don Purdum (see all)
- How to Powerfully Utilize Interactive Marketing and Explode Your Results - September 21, 2016
- 3 Astonishing Ways to Stand Out From Your Competitors and Earn More Business - September 13, 2016
- Is Content Dead or are You Just Missing Something That’s Promising? - September 6, 2016